Thursday, January 23, 2014

Inspiring Genie

I love sports.  Particularly team sports, like fútbol, a sport I've followed pretty much since the day I was born.  Olimpia is stamped in my DNA.  Olimpia flows through my veins.  And Paraguay.  And España.  And Roma.  And Bayern München.

But I like individual sports too.  Tennis, for example, is a sport I've followed much of my life.  I remember the Jimmy Connors and Stefan Edberg days.  For the past 15 years I've followed the sport on and off.  Perhaps my attention was elsewhere, or maybe I just lost interest, but I think it's possible that there wasn't really a player that captivated my imagination or attention.  Actually with the likes of Nadal, Djokovic, and Federer, it's hard to justify that last statement, but nevermind.

But my interest in the sport has returned.

Canada has some up-and-coming players, like Milos Raonic and Vasek Pospisil (very Canadian-sounding, I know!).  But nevermind the men.  It's Eugenie Bouchard who's captured my heart.

At 19, she's young, athletic, and mentally tough beyond her years.  Oh and yes, her beauty should probably also be mentioned...

She's been playing well and turning heads at this year's Aussie Open.  Although she lost today in the semi-finals, she has a bright future.  Going forward, I will watch tennis more often.

I'm a fan. I need to find out where to sign up for the Genie Army.


No comments: