Sunday, May 26, 2013

Learning To Paint

Today was my first painting class.  I loved it.  My instructors, Lloyd and Judy, like me, are from BC.

I didn't really have any expectations in terms of teaching styles from them, but for whatever reason, I was a little surprised by their "hands off" approach.  It certainly wasn't a free-for-all, but there was little explained or explicit structure or logic in the way of instruction, and that threw me off a little. Come to think of it, the teaching style is probably called the "adult education" method: self-guided, no set agenda, ask questions when you have them.  At times I was frustrated.  I'm used to and like structure.

Having said that, they have a gentleness of being that was pleasant to be around.  They modeled technique well, and provided feedback frequently.  And when I made mistakes, they always offered a "better way" rather than criticism.  Most importantly, they were affirming.  They constantly encouraged me, and that was very good for my spirit.

My first "work of art" is a prairie scene.  Father's day is coming up next month, and according to Lloyd, it's realistic to complete my first painting by then.  I intend to give my first painting away as a present.

Below is, what I accomplished today: one-third earth, two-thirds sky, divided by a straight line. :)



No comments: