Thursday, May 16, 2013

Getting Out


It's been a cold winter not only in terms of the weather outside, but the climate in my heart, too, has been ice cold.

But in the past few weeks the weather warmed up quite a bit - from -10 to +20! - so much so that the snow is mostly melted!  It's amazing.

I've been waiting for this melt to happen, determined to get out there and experience the prairies in spring and summer.  And of course, I've also been hoping that the warming up outside would lead, or contribute to, an interior warming up.

Here are the projects I've proposed to myself.  I trust that they will help open my heart again towards fellowship and community with God, others, and myself.

Gardening: I've always liked "living things".  Creatures that grow.  Plants that respond to water and light.  We used to have dogs in our family: Struppi and Yanqui being the two most obvious examples.  I remember when Struppi died after being hit by a car, I was in tears for weeks.  And as silly as it may seem, giving 20 of my plants away when I moved here, was very hard for me.

Growing vegetables, in a community of gardeners, will be a new experience for me.  I plan on growing corn, carrots, onions, and potatoes.  Other possibilities are peas, beans, and zucchini.  Space permitting - my plot is only 10ft x 10ft - I will throw in a watermelon or two. :)

FĂștbol: I mentioned previously that I was interested in joining a recreation soccer league.  Done!  I signed up, and tonight was our second game.  We lost both games, badly.  But even though we got our a$$es kicked, both games were invigorating.  Our team is mostly made up of young and enthusiastic players, many of them much fitter than I am, but I'm hoping that my past experience and skills will prove helpful.

Painting: I've always admired good art, and I've always lamented the fact that my best attempts at painting amount to little more than drawing stickmen.  Well, now's the chance to see if I can prove the theory that "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" wrong.  I've signed up for painting lessons.  My first one is next Saturday, May 25th.

Here's to Spring: new warmth, new light, new growth, new life.

No comments: