Saturday, December 22, 2012

Prairie Job: The Second Interview

I had a second job interview today for a job in Moose Jaw.

On the Camino I prayed for open doors vocationally, and I'm getting an increasing sense that moving to the prairies might actually be God's response to my prayers.  Here are 3 rasons I think this.

1- the basics.  A paycheque.  I haven't had a pay cheque in a long time!

2- the mission.  To be clear, #2 is much more important than #1.  Essentially, the work in Saskatchewan matches with my personal life mission statement.  Matthew 25:35-36, 40: feeding the hungry, welcoming the stranger, clothing the naked, visiting the sick, caring for the "least of these".  The needs of the world are intersecting with my passion.  It's all there.

3- the details.  The job is amazing, consisting of both clinical and management work.  The job is split, more or less 50/50, between Pastoral visits and management duties.  Talk about perfect.

I get emotionally exhausted by doing visits for more than 4-5 hours a day.  I need another aspect to complement the clinical side.  This job does that.  And how it does that!

Non-clinical time is spent envisioning and implementing measures that preserve and promote the Mission of the organization.  What's the Mission?  "To continue the healing ministry of Jesus."  Again, a perfect match.
4- the place.  I've always thought I'd like to experience living in a small town/city.  Community.  Simplicity.  Connection to place and people.  Natural food.  Raw beauty of creation.  In short, the Wendell Berry factor(s), MJ offers them.  Even in terms of weather, I think I'm ready to try cold but sunny, rather than mild and rainy.

To be sure, I'm sick of Vancouver.  The people, the politics, the pace, the secularism, the (lack of) work.  Suffocating.

5- the spirit.  This is about sanity.  I need to move on from my relational brokenness.  The air I breathe right now is toxic, because everything that I see and do is connected to my broken past (talk about a deja-vu from 2002!)

My window of opportunity is short: just over 2 months, Febraury 28th is R-day.  R = return.

Of course there are drawbacks to this move.  Am I escaping?  No MEC?  No mountains?  But if there is a time to move, the time is now.

Incredibly, I think that I may be getting an offer for the job in the next few days.  This is what they told me.  They seem as desperate to fill the position as I am in needing a shot of clean air.

This is scary.  It could be the perfect marriage, or disaster waiting to happen.

I have to trust that God is in this process.

No comments: