Sunday, July 04, 2010

Johannesburg: Paraguay 0 - Spain 1

We left Blyde River Canyon earlier than planned actually, in order to get to Johannesburg in time for settling in at the guesthouse and getting a quick breather before heading to the big quarter final game at Ellis Park. On the way to Johannesburg, we stopped for a pancake breakfast at Graskop, a small little town 51 km south of the Blyde River Canyon.

But the highlight - and lowlight, too, I suppose - was the game between la albirroja and la roja.

I'd mentioned to Christian prior to the game that this would be Paraguay's best game, and I was right. The usual intensity displayed by Paraguay was supplemented with intelligence and calm of mind that the team did not display since the second game of the tournament, against Slovakia.

The favourites were Spain, of course, ranked number 2 in the world, but Paraguay did not back down, and played a smart game. The style - long airballs - was not to my liking, but given the opponent it made sense. The game had everything: excitement (2 saved penalty kicks within 5 minutes, 1 by each team), intensity, great skill, and even controversy. In fact, Paraguay scored a goal in the first half that was unjustifiably called offside. That goal should have counted, and had that been the case, who knows how the game could have turned out.

In the end, we lost 0-1, Spain dominating the possession of the ball, and controlling the midfield with marvelous one-touch futbol.

Our team was disappointed, Cardozo above all was devastated, unconsolable over his missed penalty kick. Now the World Cup is over for us, having achieved a best-ever, very respectable quarter finals, among the world's top 8 nations.

Here are some pictures of the game, beginning with our view of the field, before the game:














Christian anticipating the excitement:














National anthems:














Cardozo, fouled in the penalty box in the second half:














Cardozo's penalty shot, saved by Casillas:














Now it's Spain's turn. Great save by Villar:














All in all, it was a very good tournament not only in terms of following Paraguay, but overall. In fact, it was probably the best World Cup trip I've had yet.

Now I'll begin turning my attention to my trip home. Tomorrow is Sunday, my last full day in South Africa. I plan to use it as a day of reflection. On Monday I return to Cairo, where I will spend 3 days before returning home to Vancouver.

Significantly, I am not looking forward to my return to Cairo. At one point I thought my vocation may lead me there, but I do not think that is the case any longer.

No comments: