Friday, July 02, 2010

Blyde River Canyon: Braai And Hiking

One of the frustrations of this trip has been the lack of accessibility to internet. Almost all the guesthouses we've stayed out have WiFi, but they require you to have your own laptop to access the internet. I should've known, I suppose, but I expected to have more access to computers. Next time I go on a trip like this I'll have to bring my laptop along.

The place I'm at now is a resort, but even this place only has one public computer, which does not allow the use of any USB application, so, I can't download my pictures to a memory stick, much less uploading pictures onto my website.

But needless to say, I will catch up on daily entries as soon as I have access.

In the meantime, a brief update on the past few days:

* June 29: this was a great day. Paraguay beat Japan 5-3 on penalties, after what I think was a rather boring 120 minutes of play. I am happy that we beat Japan, but I'm very disappointed in the way the team played. The team is supposed to play a more attacking futbol than in the past, but the past two games have been anything but attacking. They have been slow, indecisive, with a shocking lack of creativity in the middle and up front. Still, I am happy that we won, and made history in doing so. Next up is Spain, and while on paper the Spanish are the better team, I have a feeling this will be a good game. Spain's natural mode of operandi is attack, and Paraguay's style has always been to counterattack, and so the Spanish style actually bodes well for us.

* June 30: early in the morning we got on the road, destination Blyde River Canyon. After a couple of stops along the way, we arrived here at 4pm. We are staying in a one bedroom chalet that does not really have a spectacular view, but is a short hike away from the spectacular canyon (the 3rd biggest canyon in the world)

* July 1 (happy Canada Day!): after sleeping in yesterday, I had breakfast around 9am. Then I checked emails, did some reading, and by noon I went on a 4 hour hike. All in all, I hiked close to 7km, and soaked in the wonderful views. I have close to 60 pictures to show for it, but as said above, unfortunately I cannot share them (yet). We ended the evening with a braai, the South African version of a bbq (although in their view, there is a significant difference between a braai and a bbq). Christian had picked up some t-bone steaks, and since our chalet was equiped with an outdoor braai (bbq grill), we grilled ourselves some steaks, as well as some vegetables. The meat here tastes like the meat in Paraguay, tender and tasty.


* July 2 (today): it's 10am, I've had breakfast, and I'm currently looking for a guesthouse to stay at for the final 2 days in South Africa. We'll be leaving Blyde River tomorrow morning, heading for Johannesburg.

No comments: