Friday, January 13, 2017

Fleeting Confidence

People have told me in the past that I'm very competitive.  When I play board games, for example, my competitive juices (apparently) get the best of me sometimes.  I never believed it.

A few days before Christmas I played a tennis match and lost, and it affected me for days.  It was a match that I "should have" won, but didn't.  I was up 4-1 in the first set, and lost 5-7, 1-6.  It made me so angry I could barely concentrate for the rest of the weekend.

Then in early January I played a match that I should have lost, but won: 2-6, 6-1, 10-7 (tiebreaker).  I won it by sheer willpower. I psyched myself into thinking that I was back on track.  

The mind is so easily deceived...

Today my world came crashing down on me again.  I lost 6-3, 4-6, 8-10.  It was a monumental choke.

And now I'll be miserable again for another week.

No comments: