Tuesday, August 23, 2016

More Tennis

A month ago I wrote about my re-encounter with tennis in Penticton.

Since returning back to Saskatoon, I've done a bit of research on the tennis scene, and there are definitely some good possibilities of getting reengaged with the sport here.

The tennis world revolves around 2 places in town: Riverside, and Lakewood.  Riverside has 9 outdoor courts, whereas Lakewood has 6 indoor courts.  The problem is that in order to take advantage of all they offer, you have to get memberships in both, $250 a piece.  I'm not inclined to pay that much right now.  Maybe in the winter I'll feel different.

For now, though, I've joined a Monday night doubles league at Riverside.  We play from 7:30-10, co-ed, and I have to say that even though I prefer singles, playing doubles is helping me on a number of fronts, particularly fitness, positioning, and reading the play.  

I also enrolled in tennis lessons.  For the next 2 weeks I will be taking lessons twice a week, on Tuesday and Thursday nights.  At $25 a pop, it seems a reasonable way for me to get back into it.  Tonight's my first lesson.

No comments: